Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday Feature: Advice for College Freshman

freepik.com
Yesterday, I taught my last class of the semester, roughly 24 hours after I received my last request (I hope) for extra credit. After class, I met with a student (a freshman), and we discussed the multitude of life lessons she's learned this year, along with a few necessary academic prep skills she learned the hard way.

Some kids leave high school ready for the adventure that is college. Others show up in the fall needing to learn much more than what's in their textbooks.

All of these kids would benefit from reading this article on things new college students should know. While expectations will vary from one professor to the next, every professor will expect personal responsibility to be on the list of things students bring to class.

Without it, freshman year feels a lot longer and more painful than it ought to.

No comments:

Post a Comment