Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday Freebie: Why Apple Won't Unlock that Phone

apple.com
I've been following the reporting on the dispute between Apple and the FBI over the San Bernardino shooter's phone with fascination. As the owner of an iPhone (and an iPad and a Macbook), I appreciate Apple holding the line on customer privacy. As a human being disturbed by the seemingly unchecked rise in shootings in this country, I want justice for the families of the victims and answers as to why these things happen.

But I have to wonder if unlocking the cell phone will cause either of those things to happen. It certainly won't bring back those who died. 

But mostly I have to wonder why Apple is more concerned with my privacy than my government is. I'm inclined to agree with the writers of this NPR article ("Why Apple Says It Won't Help Unlock That iPhone, In 5 Key Quotes") -- and many of the commenters.

It's a slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment