Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Kindness and Light

I enjoy my time on social media. I like seeing what my friends are up to, finding great pictures and funny stories and informative articles to read.

But lately, fear and negativity have crept into the feeds. Friendly comments have been replaced by politically charged arguments and verbal stone throwing. One friend commented yesterday that the cooking channel was the only one that didn't raise his blood pressure. Sad, but true -- and not just for him.

So I decided to purposefully seek out positive things to post on my news feed. When a friend posted Jackie DeShannon's What the World Needs Now (Is Love, Sweet Love), I shared it on my timeline. And when another friend posted the photo at the top of this blog, I shared that, too -- not only because it's Hanukkah, but because it's a wonderful idea.

Today, I'd like to continue that sentiment. I found the "gift suggestions" below three years ago on the desk in an office I shared with a colleague at Yorkshire Elementary School. I shared it here then,  too, when life was different in so many ways. I don't know where it came from or who wrote it (but if you do, please share it in the comments!), but I think it bears re-reading.

Wonderful Gifts to Give This Holiday Season:
Mend a quarrel.
Give a soft answer.
Encourage youth.
Keep a promise.
Be gentle.
Apologize if you're wrong.
Express your gratitude.
Welcome a stranger.
Gladden the heart of a child.
Speak your love.
Speak it again.
'Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment