Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday Freebie: What Does Dr. Seuss Have to do with Dick, Jane and Sally?

en.wikipedia.org

Last Saturday, I referenced the Dick and Jane readers in my post. In looking for a picture to accompany the post, I stumbled across this article. While reading about the clashes between educational philosophies was familiar (as long as there are educators, there will be philosophy wars), I'm glad I my elementary school chose to hold on to Dick and Jane. I've often wondered if I'd have learned to read as quickly if I'd had to suffer through phonics. In fact, 35 years later, the whole word approach proved useful with my daughter as well.

If you, like me, grew up on Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff, I hope you enjoy Mental Floss's fun facts as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment