Friday, October 16, 2015

Friday Feature: 9 Ways Introverts Can (Quietly) Outperform all the Loud People Around Them

I should be stepping away from the computer, as everything I've touched that has anything to do with technology today has gone horribly wrong. But it's Friday, and I owe you a post.

Actually, I posted it already. And then, unknowingly, I killed the post. So I'm going to try to recreate it. I'd go back to my notes, but they're in a trash can at Starbucks where I deposited them after actually writing this blog 7 hours ago.

Yeah. That kind of day.

So, here goes.

amazon.com
I am not an introvert (although right about now, crawling into a hole is sounding pretty good). My sister is, though, as are many of my students, one of whom introduced me to a book by Susan Cain called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking. The tips in today's Friday Feature are Cain's, taken from an "Ask Me Anything" session.

You don't have to be an introvert to enjoy the article, though; it's as much about recognizing your strengths and being true to yourself as it it about introversion.

If you really like the article, you might also enjoy Cain's TED Talk, in which she shares some insight into the soul of an introvert. Introverts may recognize themselves, and extroverts just might learn something.

I'm adding Quiet to my to-be read list, partly because one of my students told me about it, partly because it sounds interesting and partly because I hope it will give me insight into teaching introverts. And today, I'd add one more reason.

A good book is as low-tech as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment