Wednesday, September 2, 2015

7 Favorite Lines from Friends...and One Not-so-Favorite

facebook.com/friends.tv
The night Friends premiered, I was at rehearsal for the musical Company at my local community theatre. I taped the show (this was before DVRs) and watched it when I got home. I still remember coming to the end of the first episode and saying to myself, "Eh. I'll give it one more week."

Twenty-one years later, I'm still watching it in syndication. I'm still happy when Chandler and Monica get together, when Ross and Rachel get together and when Phoebe marries Mike (though I kind of liked her with David). I switch over to The Golden Girls (airing in syndication at the same time in my neck of the woods) during the Joey-lives-with-a-dancer and Joey-loves-Rachel seasons. U2's With or Without You will forever be associated with Ross and Rachel, and Eric Carmen's All By Myself with Joey and Chandler at their respective "rainy windows."

After all the years and all the episodes, a few lines still stand out as my favorites:
  1. "What if I already found her, but I dumped her because she pronounces it 'supposably'?" (Chandler, in the episode where Mr. Heckles dies)
  2. "Okay. You have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" (Chandler to Joey)
  3. "Stop the madness!" (Phoebe)
  4. "He [Richard]'s got a twinkie in the City." (Monica's father)/"Dad, I'm the twinkie." (Monica)/ "She's not a twinkie." (Richard)
  5. "You wanted it to be a surprise ."(Monica)/"There's a reason why girls don't do this!"(Monica)/ "Wait. I can do this (Chandler) (and pretty much the whole candlelit proposal scene)
  6. "You're over me? When were you...under me?" (Ross to Rachel)
And, of course (#7): "Oh. My. God!" (Janice...and company)

My not-so-favorite? I have to agree with Rachel.

"We were on a break!"

How about you? What are your favorite lines from your favorite shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment