It wasn't until I started teaching this that I discovered there are 6 different kinds of procrastination. Oh, sure, I know we procrastinate for a variety of reasons, but I didn't realize researchers had dissected them quite so thoroughly. (I wonder what they were putting off doing instead).
Wondering what they are? Well, I won't put off telling you!
- Perfectionists put off getting started because the end product has to be just right.
- Dreamers have lots of big ideas, but take very little action.
- Worriers...worry. Uncertainty about moving forward keeps these procrastinators standing still.
- Crisis Makers suffer from last minute-itis, believing (or at least telling themselves) that they work best under pressure.
- Defiers can be aggressive or passive aggressive. Sure, they could do it, but why should they? Let alone on your schedule?
- Overdoers mean to do it -- they really do. It's just that there's so much to do, and so little time.
|Photo: Dianne Hope via Morguefile|
And you know what else? Turns out there are three different kinds of perfectionism, too. Maybe I'll share those next week.
Or the week after :-)