Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Feature: Are you an Ambivert?

Photo: click via Morguefile
I've written about introverts, extroverts and even ambiverts here before, but when I stumbled across this article yesterday, I couldn't help myself. I had to go there again because after I read "9 Signs You Might Secretly Be an Ambivert," I decided it was no secret.

I am an ambivert.

My behavior at professional conferences was my first clue. When I was a school counselor, I loved going to the PSCA conference each spring. These days, my conference of choice is the Pennwriters Conference. In both cases, I discovered that time spent alone in my hotel room -- planning, synthesizing, napping -- was as important a part of the conference to me as the workshops and events. If I was a day tripper, I relished the rides to and from the conference, typically alone in my car. I love attending the workshops and meeting up with friends, but after a full day of learning and socializing, if I don't get some down time, I'm not much fun to be around.

I was afraid I was getting old and antisocial.

I much prefer the ambivert explanation.

It really does all make sense. During my senior year in college, I had a single room, and all through grad school and beyond, I lived by myself. I learned to not only appreciate, but relish my time alone, and apparently, over time, I've grown to need that time as well.

How about you? Where do you land? Introvert, extrovert or ambivert?


No comments:

Post a Comment