Saturday, January 10, 2015

Saturday Special: Coworkers and Messy Desks

businessweek.com
Last summer, I wrote two posts for my WITF community blog on cluttered desks and creative minds. In researching the posts, I came across several articles like this one in which business people complained about co-workers' messy desks and, in some cases, took matters into their own hands.

I understand that cluttered desks can be an eyesore. What I don't understand is why people would think it's okay to "tidy up" another person's workspace without their permission. Or why another person's workspace is anyone else's business in the first place.

Don't get me wrong.  Day-old food or anything else that smells, encourages plant growth or attracts unwelcome visitors does impact the rest of the office. But paper clutter? Unfiled folders? If the person who works in the space does his or her job, does it really matter if the desk is messy?

What do you think? Is it fair to judge a person by the state of his or her desk?



No comments:

Post a Comment