Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday Freebie: What I'm Reading in Ten Minutes or Less: How to Go Gray Naturally

A while back, I wrote a post about letting go of the monthly ritual of dyeing my hair. When I was young enough that the thought of gray, ahem, highlights on my own head seemed a long way off, I believed that I’d just let nature take its course.

I was in my mid-to-late forties when the gray really began to encroach, first at my temples, then taking over my roots. Still working in a field where most of my colleagues were a decade or more younger than I, I quickly changed my mind about that whole nature taking its course thing and began making the monthly trip to the salon.

www.nextavenue.org
At first, I could go six weeks between appointments, but eventually, the gray began to take over. My stylist told me that some gray is actually resistant to dye. Oh goody. More chemicals, more frequent trips, less time, less money.

Really?

Shortly after I retired, I decided I preferred the time and the money I would save to the color that, increasingly, failed to resemble my natural color. And so I bit the bullet.

I don’t know if reading this article from Next Avenue would have sped up the process for me, but as a still-graying 50-something, I appreciated the helpful hints about the other adjustments that need to be made as nature takes its course. 


Now if only an article could help me to make the necessary mental adjustments that come with losing the color battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment