30-Day Thankfulness Challenge
That's not to say I'm not grateful for all of the blessings in my life, or that I don't express that gratitude. And today, the day before Thanksgiving, seems to be a good day to be grateful for all of my blessings -- especially those that come in disguise.
So here, in no particular order, are some "blessings" I've noticed in my house today. I may not always appreciate them on a surface level, but I do appreciate their hidden meanings.
- I don't always appreciate the faint smell of smoke that lingers in my house after one of my culinary adventures....but I'm grateful for the electricity that powers the traitorous stove, and the fact that I'm able-bodied enough to fend for myself.
- I don't always appreciate the piles of laundry that greet me on a daily basis...but I'm grateful for clothes to wear and linens that help me stay warm and dry.
- I don't always appreciate the volume or content of the noise that fills my house when my family is here...but I'm grateful for the love and the company of the people who make the noise.
- I don't always appreciate the fact that burning the candle at both ends leads to my sometimes running out of steam in the middle of the day...but I'm grateful for a schedule that allows me to relish a nap and recharge when I need to.
- I don't always appreciate the stacks of papers sitting on my dining room table, waiting for me to grade them....but I'm grateful for the opportunity to teach, influence and be productive.
- I don't always appreciate the clutter (most of it mine) that litters the surfaces in my home....but I'm grateful for the busy, full life that it signifies.
Happy Thanksgiving. Wishing you many blessings -- in disguise and otherwise.