Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Leisure Reading?

We are drowning in magazines.

This is due, in no small part, to the fact that the one and only fund-raiser at my daughter's school is a magazine sale. Lured by the promise of no more order forms or collection envelopes, every year, I overspend.

It seems innocuous enough at the time - demographic information and a promising title on an order form, accompanied by a check that's just a little too large, but for a good cause.

But then the magazines start arriving.

Again, it's manageable at first. Alluring covers and intriguing articles pull me in - at least until there are too many of them and I get behind in my reading. And they start to pile up. And I begin to think I'll never catch up, let alone keep up.

I'm not complaining - not much, anyway. Our purchases have not only helped to fund programs at my daughter's school, but have also made it possible for her to qualify for a trip to a local amusement park two years out of her three at the middle school. Given the cost of the ticket, it's actually cheaper for her to make the trek that way, not to mention more fun than going with her parents, who lack her desire to attempt some of the rides.

Personally, I'd much rather stay home and read magazines. Fortunately, I have a bountiful supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment