Thursday, May 28, 2009

7 Days Left...Where did the last three go??

Did you ever have one of those days where you think you're fine, but everyone around you can tell that you're stressed out? Sure, you realize your tone has a bit of an edge to it, and your stomach doesn't feel quite right, or maybe you're eating everything sweet (or salty) that isn't nailed down, but you're just fine, right??

Yeah. Sure. The worst part for me is that by the time I realize how far gone I am, I've gone too far. Usually, I've held it together at work, appearing professional and composed (except for the aforementioned edge that creeps in from time to time and with certain people...) and then I dig myself a hole at home. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I snap, but most often I just make every molehill into a mountain. And by the time I realize how far gone I am, I'm in the middle of a mountain range, and the only path out is rocky, uphill and may require me to eat some crow.

Fortunately, I've learned to appreciate the taste of crow, even if I don't particularly enjoy it. I know it's important for the health of my relationships in much the same way vegetables are good for my physical health (I prefer those only in moderation, too, unfortunately) and so I nibble away at it. I've found that a few deep breaths and a sincere apology (and if I'm lucky, a hug) are such a good appetizer that the taste of the crow barely lingers at all, at least most of the time.

And so I'll take a deep breath, remind myself that less stressful days are ahead and prepare to tackle those days just as I tackle the crow...one bite at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment