Tuesday, September 3, 2024

A Dozen Lessons That Are Still True

Image by WOKANDAPIX from Pixabay

 As I start a new semester, I'm reminded that every semester teaches me something. Last fall was a bit of a rough ride, and loaded with lessons:

  1. Every class has its own personality.
  2. If they don't wanna do it, I can't make them. 
  3. I can take ownership of my stuff, but they have to take ownership of theirs.
  4. I can take steps toward balance.
  5. Just because there are papers to be graded, that doesn't mean I have to grade them all today.
  6. Taking a day off doesn't put me behind; in fact, it does just the opposite. One day off recharges me to do a better job the next day.
  7. Routines done't rule the world; some are worth keeping, others need to be flexible. Still others need to be rethought (or ditched) entirely.
  8. Change is challenging, but important.
  9. Where there's a will there's sometimes a way. Other times, there might be an obstacle or six.
  10. I can subtract assignments and not miss them.
  11. Even the best assignments grow stale with time.
  12. No matter how many students are absent, the ones in front of me deserve the best of me.

Some of these realizations were not new, nor is this list comprehensive. But by writing them all down, I was able to remind myself of concepts that are key to both my success and the success of my students.

Now, with last fall in the rear view mirror, I see my list as a sort of manifesto -- guidelines to help me focus my energies on what I can control, and to help me let go of what I can't. So far, I'm optimistic about the group of students I have this fall, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the semester holds. I did some tinkering with assignments and readings, and early readings have been well-received (yay!) I'm hoping the enthusiasm of August is a good omen.

Bring on fall semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment