Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Paving a Pretty (Reading) Pathway

SashaSan via Pixabay


 Some trips to the library send me back to my car loaded down with books. Other trips are less fruitful, leaving me struggling to find a novel that begs me to take it home. 

When I found myself in the latter position a few years ago, I determined to write the book I wanted to read, resulting in the novel I'm currently revising (more on that in future posts). Though it wouldn't be the first time I set out to write the story I wished for, it was the first time I intentionally crafted a protagonist who would get that story started.

Clearly, I can't write a book every time I can't find one that suits my current tastes so, when I'm struggling to find that fictional perfect match, I sometimes end up in the non-fiction section. Quite a few years back, such a foray introduced me to The Happiness Project, which ended up shaping one of the courses I teach and leading me to develop another as well. 

During my last no-novel trip, I plucked a Property Brothers book off the shelf. Later, I reserved Classic Style and Whiskey in a Teacup, then borrowed the e-book of The Curated Closet, extending my "grown-up picture book" phase (launched by It's So You), a phase I'm thoroughly enjoying.

While I know it's not unusual for readers to gravitate toward the same kinds of books and the same authors, all of this feels as though it's leading somewhere. I'm not entirely sure where yet but, if you stop back on Friday, you'll see one brick in the path it's paving.

For now, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment