Friday, June 3, 2022

Friday Feature: Read the Acknowledgments

 Yesterday, I reaped the benefits of reading the acknowledgments at the end of a novel (Ghosts of Harvard, for anyone who might be interested). A book recommended by the author (Francesca Serritella) jump-started my writing by leading me to connection I hadn't been able to figure out how to make.

Ironic, since acknowledgments are all about connections.

But that got me to thinking. Do you always read an author's acknowledgments? I don't, despite the fact I've written a few myself. Sometimes I skim them, and often, I skip them altogether. 

Authors are frequently advised to read acknowledgments as a way of familiarizing themselves with players in the industry. But other readers can benefit, too. This article in Bustle, combined with my own recent experience, led me to acknowledge that acknowledgments might just be worth my time.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment