Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Way Back Wednesday: Hello from Behind the Table


Last January, I published the final book in the Marita, Angel and Charli series in the middle of a pandemic. I talked about it here, on social media and in my author newsletter, but there was no real world celebration. No parties, no signings, no face-to-face acknowledgement of a project whose creation spanned several years of my life.

It was strange.

But this isn't a pity party (I published a book, after all!). Instead, it's an acknowledgement of how different it is to do everything in a pandemic, including publishing a book.

More than ten years ago, before the MAC books,  I wrote this post about 8 things to do at a book signing that doesn't draw a crowd. As a relatively unknown author, most of my book signings fall into that category but, despite that fact, I still look forward to the day when I can do a face-to-face event again.

Here's what I had to say back then.

Some of my books that target a niche market, so even when I'm fortunate enough to set up a book signing, I'm not necessarily fortunate enough to sell a lot of books. So, I keep the signings short and have developed a list of things to do when the crowds are, shall we say, underwhelming:

  1. Smile and look accessible. 
  2. Resist the urge to follow people into the cafe, waving copies of your book. Instead, smile and say hello to anyone who goes by. No sales pitch. Just hello.
  3. Plan promos for the next book signing that will draw crowds that rival a John Grisham signing. 
  4. Graciously thank the bookstore staff who made the signing possible, along with anyone who stops by the table, whether or not they buy a book. 
  5. Jot down ideas for blogs, plot lines, setting and dialogues. Flesh them out if time permits.
  6. Write said notes on memo-sized pieces of paper, and look up from time to time so you still look approachable. 
  7. If the signing is at a bookstore, create a shopping list so you're prepared when the signing is over. Try not to spend more than twice the cost of your book, particularly if you haven't sold any. 
  8. Relax! When's the last time you had an hour to yourself with no one bugging you?

All joking aside, I'm always grateful to anyone who stops and asks about my book (even if they don't buy one) and to my friends and family who show up to support me. Any day I get the opportunity to talk to people about a project that matters to me is a good day.




No comments:

Post a Comment