Thursday, June 24, 2021

My Summer Dozen

jureeq via Pixabay


It’s the last day of class and the weather is beautiful. I’m sitting out on my patio with a fleece throw on my lap because the sun has gone down and it’s gotten cool. This is my favorite weather and one of my favorite places. By Christmas, it will be bigger and glass enclosed (and hopefully better furnished as I am currently sharing space with bicycles). 

It’s a good spot for relaxation and contemplation and I, doing a good bit of both, making plans for the down time I promised myself when my summer class wrapped. Here are the top 12 on my list, in no particular order.






  • Sleeping in
  • Putting an away message on my work email
  • Not running out of day before I run out of list
  • Reviving my sketchnoting and trying out some of the thing I’m learning in my graphic design class
  • Curling up with a book, guilt-free, in the middle of the day
  • Getting to all the things at the bottom of my list
  • Paying attention to all the little projects around my house
  • Cleaning and organizing my office and maybe even my basement
  • Sitting down and doing something I enjoy without the nagging feeling that I should be doing something else
  • Emailing friends and spending relaxed time with family
  • Writing 
  • More porch time on cool mornings and night like this one

Although it probably goes without saying that writing is on the list, it was by no means the first thing I thought of. That’s due in large part to the fact that I am in need of a break, but it’s also because I’ve been digging into writing goals for the past two weeks, first with preparation for the virtual retreat, then the retreat itself and, finally, with the Write-a-thon I rolled into immediately after that. The goal was to set myself up so I was ready to roll when class was over, a goal I’ve successfully met.


Only a short (virtual) stack of papers stands between me and my down time. 


I’m ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment