Friday, April 30, 2021

Friday Feature: Peace and Perfection


Today was my last split-class ("hybrid") day with two of my classes. Next week is the last week of the semester (except for final presentations), so we'll do our Monday "everybody-Zoom" as usual, and do the same again on Wednesday. Since Wednesday is our class, it's important to me to have everyone "in the same room." Not sure if they care, but I do. 

I wore my "The goal is peace, not perfection" tee-shirt today, partly because it fits with the material we're discussing, partly because my students (and I) need to be reminded of that very sentiment and partly because I lacked the mental wattage to put together an outfit beyond Friday jeans and a tee shirt, dressed up a bit with jewelry for a casual professional look and accessorized with my starfish mask.

Here on this blog, my usual Friday feature revolves around something to read. After giving in to the nap I'd hoped to avoid in favor of productivity, I spent about an hour scrolling, trying to find the right "teaching in the pandemic" article because that's what suited my mood today.

I found many, but not the Goldilocks article -- the "just right" one.

As I scrolled and clicked, then scrolled and clicked again, I was reminded that I'm not alone. Other teachers are exhausted and unsure, discouraged by a sea of blank screens and by the best-laid plans feeling like an uphill climb. But despite numerous options, I couldn't find the right mix of upbeat and realistic.

So I turned to Twitter. And what I found wasn't an article at all but, instead, the perfect pairing to my Friday jeans and a tee shirt. 




As an excruciatingly long semester draws to a close -- one where some days went according to plan, but plenty did not -- I can honestly say that overall, yes, they did learn. And I'm pretty sure they know they were loved.

It may not be perfection, but it definitely brings me some peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment