Monday, November 2, 2020

Saved by Daylight Savings Time

raggio5

I'm not always a fan of daylight savings time, especially in the spring when it steals an hour of sleep from me. Even in the fall, I sometimes struggle, unsure of what time it is as my body tries to get back into a rhythm.

But this year is different.

It's been a long fall semester, a long seven months, a long four years. Illness, technology, rancor, fear...

Exhaustion.

This extra hour felt like a gift. A reset.

I used my "found time" for sleep, as I knew I would and waking up rested allowed me to kick off the first of the last three weeks of the semester with energy and enthusiasm. As someone who gets too little sleep more often than not, I frequently forget how much of a role sufficient sleep plays in every task I tackle, every interaction I have, every decision I make. I had actually forgotten how good it felt to not be on edge all the time.

I didn't fully realize how much I needed a reset until it materialized. And now, with a little luck and a little more attention to self-care, it just might give me enough momentum to power through the rest of the semester. 

Thank you, Daylight Savings Time. See you in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment