Friday, July 31, 2020

Friday Feature: Stepping Away from COVID Anxiety

Last night, as I continued with my inbox reduction plan (making progress, still a long way to go), I came across an article about how trying to squelch anxiety can backfire. I thought it would be a great Friday Feature, so I copied the link. Then, this morning, when I set out to write this post, I discovered that it didn't have much substance beyond the headline.

Back to the drawing board, so to speak.

I liked the topic, so I stuck with it. As the beginning of fall semester approaches, anxiety for educators, students and parents is increasing -- or at least it is in my little corner of the world. 

But every article I read sounds the same. Mindfulness, self-care, stepping away from the news. All really good advice, but nothing I hadn't already considered or put into practice. 

Then I found this article from Healthline and it made me laugh. In reading through it again, I'm not sure why, but that response was a bonus.

Laughter is definitely on of my favorite coping mechanisms.

Not only that, but the article had ideas I hadn't considered or read about anywhere else, despite the fact that it was posted back in March. And the site, too, had a warm, positive vibe, despite the fact that I'd landed on the coronavirus page.

Advice-seeking is a tricky business. We want to be realistic and well-informed, but we don't want to fall down a deep well of despair triggered by too much information that is out of our control. When I find reading material that accomplishes this, I want more of the same.

Which is why I subscribed to Healthline. 

Stay well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment