Monday, June 15, 2020

Better to Give Than to Receive

nattanan23 via Pixabay
One of the tabs I routinely leave open on my browser is Checkiday.com. It's fun to check out and it's also a great source of topics for blog posts on days (like today) when I'm not sure what I want to write about. There are always multiple things/causes being celebrated and sometimes (like today), I find one that's a great match for my current situation and/or the educator in me learns a little something.

Today, for example is Worldwide Day of Giving, which began as one person's Year of Giving. Now, in light of all of the need that swirls around us, it seems appropriate to give consideration to how we can help one another. The website makes three suggestions:

  1. Give a stranger $10.
  2. Volunteer.
  3. Donate $10.
I get a lot of solicitations, and I'll bet you do, too. Some never make it to my desk but those that do get stashed in a small bin where I keep such paperwork. Then, when I have a moment to make a donation (usually when I'm paying bills), I sort through the accumulated stack, get rid of duplicates (and triplicates, etc.) and decide how much I'm sending and to whom. 

Today is a day to sort through that stack with a generous heart. I'll need to first determine my budget, and then see how to allocate it. My donations won't be large, but they will, I hope, help to make a difference. I'm sure they'll also add me to several mailing lists, but I'm okay with that. I know how to prioritize.

On a more lighthearted note, today I get to sort through my prize stash and determine what I'm sending to my prizewinners (and who they will be). 

Not a bad way to spend a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment