Friday, March 27, 2020

Friday Feature: Play That Funky Music, Build Those Brain Connections

Did you play an instrument? Do you still?

When I was little, my grandparents had a piano at their house. I wanted to learn how to play, but the opportunity never arose. I learned to play the violin in elementary school, but never got very good at it and, when I was in middle school, I stopped playing altogether.

As an adult, I finally got those piano lessons. I'm better at piano than I remember being at violin, but that pesky practice thing still stands between me and greatness. Still, I play well enough to entertain myself and to improve my mood on grumpy days.

As it turns out, playing an instrument can have a  positive impact on brain health. Not only that, but our brains respond differently when we play music than they do when we just listen to it.

No matter how you look at it, music has brain benefits -- for all ages. As our enforced time at home wears on, it's nice to know there's something enjoyable that can also keep our brains from turning to mush.

Figuratively, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment