Wednesday, January 22, 2020

White Lights: They're Not Just for Christmas

VladVictoria via Pixabay
It always makes me a little sad to take down the Christmas decorations. But, while I eventually tire of Santa, his reindeer, and a Christmas tree in the middle of my mudroom, I hang on to one kind of decoration for as long as possible.

White lights.

It's because of white lights that the Christmas tree outlasts a lot of the tchotchke-type decorations and that the garland on the bannister is, well, still there, long after the festivities have ended.

There's something peaceful about the glow of white lights in an otherwise dark room. It makes things feel warm and comforting and creates an ambience I find welcoming. In years past, I've wrapped a mitten garland around the white lights on our banister, hoping to convince my husband that the lights should stay up a little longer. But this year, the artificial garland is a dead giveaway that the lights are Christmas touch that has overstayed its welcome rather than a decorative choice.

Fortunately, I can always retreat to my office where I have white lights strung along one wall year- round. I rarely, if ever, use the lights in the ceiling fixture. If I need more light to work by, small lamps stand at the ready.

But this weekend, it's time to let go. The last of the Christmas boxes will be tucked away, some of their contents replaced by snowmen to help the undecorated spaces feel less empty.

I might just need to add a few white lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment