Friday, December 27, 2019

Friday Feature: Raffi, Children and the Future

When my daughter was small, she (and I) listened to Raffi tapes at (her) bedtime. In fact, I think it was her wonderful pre-K teacher, Miss Amy, who introduced us to Raffi. His songs were catchy and  both of us could listen to them. In other words, I didn't groan internally when I asked my daughter what music she wanted me to play at bedtime and she chose Raffi.

These days, I'm finding even more more to like about Raffi. Still writing music and giving concerts, he has fully embraced social media and is dedicating himself to advocating for his audience. Through his Raffi Foundation, he is running Child Honouring courses, hoping to make the world a better place for children and, perhaps, everyone else as well.

I'm not sure what these courses entail but, as someone who teaches child development, I'm always impressed by those who use their platforms as a springboard for positive change or, in Raffi's case, to advance "a positive vision that holds 'the primacy of the early years' as key to activating the powerful potential of our species." Or, to quote another musical superstar, the late Whitney Houston, "I believe the children are our future."

Me too. And I can only hope that Raffi's outreach is yet another way for others to come to that conclusion as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment