Monday, December 16, 2019

3 Reasons I'm Happy our Daughter is Home and 3 Reasons She Agrees

Pixaline via Pixabay
My daughter arrived home from college yesterday. She’ll be hanging out at home for about a month, which makes this mom happy, even if part of that time is spent doing all the catch-up visits (doctors, dentist, etc.) that need to be squeezed in over her break.

Time spent in waiting rooms aside, there are lots of reasons to be glad that she’s home.

I sleep better when everyone is home. Last night was the best, most sound sleep I've gotten in a couple of weeks. Granted, I was exhausted, but there is something very relaxing about everyone being under one roof, safe and sound. 

She gets me. At 5’8” to my 5’0”, she doesn’t exactly qualify as my mini me, but she has the same sense of humor that I do. Though we argue occasionally (and I cause her to roll her eyes more than occasionally), we're alike enough that her time home is (mostly) easy.

I enjoy spending time with her. My mom used to say that she'd want to hang out with my sister and me even if we weren't her daughters, and I feel exactly the same way about my daughter. Not only does she get me, but she's interesting and she's a good person. 

As for my daughter, she's glad to be home, although her reasons are a little different than mine. 

She likes sleeping in her own bed. No matter how much she makes her room at school her own, it's not quite the same as her room at home -- especially when it comes to her bed.

She likes annoying us (her words, not mine). See? I told you she and I have the same sense of humor.

She doesn’t have to pay for groceries. This year, she's sharing a house with friends, which means a full kitchen but, as she's learning, that full kitchen doesn't stock itself. When she finds there's nothing to eat in her kitchen at school, it's her responsibility to do something about that. At home, she just makes a list and the food magically appears. 

Last night, I made one of her favorite meals and tonight, we'll decorate the Christmas tree, something we've been waiting to do until she was back home. Though things will settle into the mundane soon, that, too, is comfortable. Today we made a list of things we want to do before she goes back and, if history is any indication, it's longer than what's realistic for our time together. 

But that's okay. My daughter is home and that's a very, very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment