Friday, October 4, 2019

Friday Feature: The One with all the Books

As a writer and a lover of books, I'm always happy to see reading going on. I never really paid attention to how much my favorite television characters read -- if at all -- and I don't know that I've ever actually put a book in one of my characters' hands unless they were in school. (Shame on me! That will change!!)

While it's not unusual for me to find my favorite Grey's Anatomy docs reading medical journals, I never really paid attention to how much the characters read on Friends. I remember one episode where Chandler was dozing on Monica's couch and reading MacWorld (Phoebe's question about why it's Spiderman instead of Spiderman jolted him awake) and, of course The Velveteen Rabbit episode, The Shining in the freezer and Joey's investment in Little Women. Still the one with all the books brought lots of other episodes to mind.

Do sitcom characters still read? Or are they all on tablets and cell phones? There's only one way to find out and, devoted researcher that I am, I'm willing to do the work.

How do your favorite sitcom characters spend their down time?

No comments:

Post a Comment