Monday, October 28, 2019

4 Things I Love About Fall


This past weekend, my husband and I went to visit our daughter at her college in New England. I have always loved my daughter's campus, and being there in the fall was wonderful. Aside from seeing our daughter (which was the best part, of course), we got to wander around campus, enjoying the views from the inside and the outside. It reminded me why I was so excited that she chose this school so far from home, but it also reminded me why fall is my favorite season.


  1. It's neither too hot nor too cold. Although the past couple of months in Pennsylvania have put this assertion to the test, now that we've reached the end of October, the air is beginning to have the crisp feel indicative of the season. A sweatshirt or a light sweater (or perhaps a lightweight, fuzzy blanket) is all that's needed to stave off the chill, making everything feel cozy.
  2. The start of school signals the start of new opportunities. In his book When, Daniel Pink asserts that the start of each season provides an opportunity for a new start, but I think I feel this most in the fall, probably because I'm an educator. Kicking off a new semester and a new season in close succession lends a lovely "anything is possible" vibe to the days that stretch out ahead. 
  3. The days are reasonably long. Though they lack the length of their summer counterparts, fall days still have plenty of light. And, when reflected in the leaves whose colors shift daily (at least here in the northeastern United States), there is a brightness about everything outdoors. 
  4. It's beautiful. Even a non-outdoor person like me can't deny that this is a time that nature deserves a standing ovation.
There are many parts of the country I would love to visit, but I can't imagine living anywhere that lacks the colors and promise of an east coast fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment