Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Celebrating Summer

I must confess. I have no idea what any
of the stuff on the board means.
(Photo: Alexas_Fotos via Pixabay)
My summer class is coming to a close. I taught my last lesson today and, tomorrow, my students take an exam and we wrap up our book discussion. Then, it's all over but the grading.

In other words, vacation begins.

For the second summer in a row, I've had a great group of students. A part of me will miss seeing them every day, but I'm also ready to click into vacation mode.

All week, I could feel it coming. My motivation to get class things done was high, and so was my motivation to tackle the things that had piled up around the house while I was teaching and grading. Last night was especially productive, as I checked myriad small items off my list, clearing the clutter of tasks that stood between me and time to write, rest and organize.

It felt good.

If you're thinking that vacation means binge-watching Netflix and lounging by the pool, clearly we haven't met. For me, vacation means writing projects and organizing my house, both of which sound like work but give me immense enjoyment. While others find solace and enjoyment in the garden or on the tennis court, I'm happiest sorting through the stacks in my office and rearranging my closet. (There's a reason I'm the indoor parent).

But it isn't the activities themselves that are most alluring. It's the sense of possibility. When full, unscheduled weeks stretch out before me, I have the sense that I can do everything from revising my novel to redecorating my house. And, even better, if I don't want to do a particular project on a particular day, I don't have to.

Myriams-Fotos via Pixabay
There's always tomorrow.

What does vacation mean to you? A tropical getaway? Sleeping in? Tackling a project? Doing absolutely nothing? Curling up with a good book?

What possibilities will you realize this summer?



No comments:

Post a Comment