Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Inspired by Life

linno257 via Pixabay
Last night on Twitter, a fellow writer was looking for some inspiration. She asked us to share goals, wants, words of inspiration, etc.

I was amazed at how quickly and easily the "wants" flowed from brain to fingertips to the page.

What do I want? To spend my life doing things that make me happy. Not in an eating chocolate cake for breakfast kind of way (although that's good, too), but in a way that leaves me fulfilled and happily exhausted.

And you know what the best part is? I'm there. That is the life I am leading.

That's not to say it's all sunshine and roses (even roses have thorns). I'm often frustrated and sometimes unhappily exhausted. Like everyone else, I have to-do lists that feel insurmountable some days and an office that needs a serious intervention. (No? Just me on that second one?)

But, more and more, the things on my to-do lists that I actually want to do outnumber the things I'm merely obligated to do. The people I spend time with -- and on -- are people I want to surround myself with.
croisy via Pixabay

Am I independently wealthy? Nope, and I don't have my beach house (yet) either. Do I watch too much television, eat too much junk food and waste too much time online? Yes to all three (which is sometimes a way of avoiding the insurmountable to-do lists and other times leads to the insurmountable to-do lists).

That simple reply on Twitter reminded me of something essential. None of us has the perfect life but, until we get there, leading the lives we want to lead can be a pretty satisfying alternative.

What do you want out of life? How close are you to making that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment