Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Companions on the Writing Journey

Pixabay.com
One of the best things a writer can do for herself is to join a critique group. More than two decades ago, my friend and fellow writer Judy Wolfman twisted my arm and convinced me to give her critique group a try. When I say she twisted my arm, I'm not being literal, but I'm not being sarcastic either. I was terrified to show my writing to other people and it took some convincing, along with the promise that I could just observe until I was comfortable, to get me to try just one meeting.

I'm still going.

Over the years, the composition of the group has changed. In fact, only three of us who were part of the group then are still part of the group now. I've brought five novels to this group (six, if you count the one that I revised and brought back for a second pass) along with a non-fiction book that I was struggling to put together. One novel was published, a second self-published and a third -- the one going through the group right now -- is one I hope to self-publish before the end of the year. Another novel (the one that went through twice) is next on my to-be-revised list and the non-fiction book is coming out this spring.

You might say their feedback has been useful.

When it comes to integrating their feedback, though, it took me a while to figure out the best way to do so. I always read their comments as soon after the meeting as I can, but I sometimes don't dig into the changes they suggest right away. Depending on where I am in the writing process, it might be months -- or maybe even years -- down the road before I settle down with their notes in front of me and weigh the changes against what's on the page.

Fellow writers are surprised when I tell them I often tuck the critiques away, returning to them only when I dig into revisions. While the discussion isn't as clear in my mind, I'm also a little more removed from the prose, making it easier to consider cuts and drive the revision process, which I hate. Because I'm not a happy reviser (I just hate the revising process in general), saving their feedback -- both positive and negative -- helps me to power through the process. In addition, once I've finished the first draft, I have a better idea of where their suggestions fit into the plot or overall scheme of the book. I can also see which comments are recurring, which helps me to shape the book.

Revision is a necessary but, for me, less than pleasant process. Having friends along for the ride makes things a bit easier and it makes my books better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment