Friday, February 22, 2019

Friday Feature: A Napping House

When my daughter was little, she had a book called The Napping House. I can still remember the repeated refrain:
"This is a house, a napping house, where everyone is sleeping."
When she was little, she sometimes fought her nap, determined to stay awake so she could play more and miss less. Now, as a college student, she revels in naps, recognizing them for what they are.

A luxury.

Or, perhaps, a way of life.

Our house is, indeed, a napping house. My husband, my daughter and I all recognize the value of a good nap. And we're not alone.

Hilary Thompson has a fun article in Verily that goes beyond justifying the nap and includes not only its health benefits, but its multiple varieties as well.

Perhaps if we, as a society, got more sleep, naps wouldn't be necessary. But, then again, there are plenty of countries that build an afternoon siesta into the fabric of their days.

I'm just happy I don't have to move to one of them in order to indulge my napping habit. Clearly, we've built a successful napping house right here.

P.S. Anyone want to guess one of the reasons I'm posting late today?

No comments:

Post a Comment