Monday, October 22, 2018

What do Pretzels, Colors and Smarts Have in Common?

Gellinger via Pixabay
I haven't done a Checkiday post in a while, so I thought I'd wander on over to the website to see what we're celebrating today. My three favorites? Pretzels, colors and intelligence (not necessarily in that order).

Soft pretzels always make me think of my high school best friend, Patti, a.k.a. "Pit." Soft pretzels were her lunch of choice most days, and she had a particular way of eating the pretzels. It wasn't anything weird -- just a way of saving the best for last. Not a bad philosophy of life. So today, on Eat a Pretzel Day, though I'm unlikely to go in search of a soft pretzel for lunch, I might just dig into the container of pretzel rods on my kitchen counter.

In addition to being a soft pretzel fan, Pit's one of the smartest people I know, which makes me smile at the fact that Eat a Pretzel Day falls on the same day as Smart is Cool Day. I suspect that some of my students didn't get the word, though, since six of them missed class this morning. Two had good reasons, and perhaps the other four did, too, and just didn't clue me in. Or, maybe no one told them that smart is cool. Checkiday says that "Smart is Cool Day...celebrates and highlights the importance of intellectual pursuits, knowledge and education, and is a day to strive to become smarter." As an educator, I'm pretty excited that there's a day dedicated to those things.

Pixabay
Another word for smart is bright, and bright is what drew me to National Color Day. The older I get, the greater the percentage of my closet contents that are black. I've always loved having a few black basics to build on because black goes with anything and is particularly fun with a splash of color. Black, white and brights are wardrobe staples for me but, as much as I love a closet full of black and white basics, I'd hate to live in a world that is black and white, literally or figuratively. I much prefer shades of gray, perhaps with bright and/or seasonal accents.

How about you? What are you celebrating today?


No comments:

Post a Comment