Friday, August 24, 2018

Friday Feature: Late Bloomers

These Friday posts originally had the subtitle, "What I'm Reading in 10 Minutes or Less." As such, today's post was a little challenging. The semester starts next week, so pretty much all I'm reading (and writing) are syllabi and course materials.

Luckily, a search I did for one of my classes last night yielded an interesting piece to share here. I'm revamping an assignment for my first-year seminar and calling it "Success Stories." In search of some  legitimate articles to feed this project, I came across this one on Medium, detailing folks who achieved success late in life.

Given the fact that I'm on my second career (not counting all of those jobs in high school and college), I have a special interest in this topic. In addition, several of the people featured in the article are writers and creatives and many were new to me, either in terms of identity or story, which was very cool. Most articles that highlight people who failed before they succeeded feature the same people.

This one did not.

So, if you're looking for a little inspiration, a nudge to persist, or just a fun read (with infographics), take a look.

If nothing else, you'll find out who Harry Bernstein and Gladys Burrill are, as well as the real names behind some famous ones.

Have an inspired weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment