Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Darkness and Light

Pixabay
The other night, my daughter sent me photos of fireworks she'd attended. They were beautiful, and fun to watch, but when the music came on behind one of the displays, I had to turn the volume down. The song?

Proud to Be an American.

Right now, I'm not proud to be an American. I'm horrified by what our country has become, by what so many think is okay to say, to do, to profess. 

And I'm afraid of what lies ahead. 

Since I have no words of wisdom or inspiration on this particular 4th of July, I'd like to offer up a patriotic song of my own, one that seeks the only kind of assistance I think can turn things around. 


God bless America
Land that I love

Stand beside her 
And guide her
Through the night with the light from above.*

As for me, I'm going to try to take my inspiration from those fireworks, and do my best to be a light in the darkness, whether by spreading optimism or information. 

And, like the fireworks I have no intention of doing it quietly.

Happy Fourth of July. Let's make our country a place we all want to celebrate.


*Lyrics: Irving Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment