Wednesday, July 5, 2017

A Writing Home Away from Home

Kaboompics
I have decided that I need a beach writing retreat. There's something about the beach that routinely gets me unstuck. Maybe it's simply the change in location and daily routine. Maybe it's the feeling of endless possibility.

Maybe it's the fact that the only non-human distractions I have are the ones I intentionally bring with me. When I pack my bag with good books, fun magazines and everything I need to write, it's not hard to get inspired.

But, while I can rationalize paying for a week at the beach when it's a family vacation, or paying hundreds of dollars for a writing conference that gives me access to experts, I cheap out when it comes to planning a writing retreat, tossing out all sorts of obstacles: I have too much to do. I can't spare the time. My family needs me.

Now, though, as I sit on the beach writing this post, I wonder why I don't plan a retreat every year the way I plan a vacation. Set the dates. Make the plans. Save the money.

Why indeed.

Maybe this year is the year I'll do it. Choose the spot (done). Check the fees. Determine the cast of characters.

Three weeks ago, my nineteen-year-old planned a beach trip with her friends. How hard can it be?

I think perhaps it's time I found out. Writer friends, who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment