Monday, May 29, 2017

More than a Decade of Swinging

Eleven years ago, this blog was born on a porch swing at my sister-in-law's house. Fast forward to today and my daughter, who was then in elementary school, is now a sophomore in college, spending this Memorial Day in London. I spent last Saturday afternoon at a bridal shower for my sister-in-law's daughter, who is getting married this summer.

Time flies.

I still love porch swings and three day weekends, especially when I spend them at the beach, as I did this weekend. Our impromptu trip is my excuse for posting this so late in the day, but actually, when I think about it, this was about the time of day I posted my very first Porch Swing Chronicles entry. 

When I posted that first entry, I didn't really think about how long I'd keep at this blogging thing. I didn't yet post on a regular schedule (unless you count "when the spirit moved me"), and didn't yet write for CatholicMom.com. I hadn't yet started playing with the ideas behind Organizing by STYLE or conceived of the characters in Casting the First Stone and Chasing a Second Chance, let alone considered all the trouble they could get themselves into.

That's one of the funny things about writing. On a daily basis, it doesn't seem like much is taking shape, but, bit by bit,word by word it adds up, often to more than a writer (this one, anyway) can imagine.

Thank you for joining me here, whether you follow this blog or stop by once in a while. That's the nice thing about a porch swing; it always welcomes you back and, each season, the scenery is just a little different. And there are always a few surprises. 

I hope this weekend has brought you good ones. Thanks for reading.

2 comments: