Friday, March 17, 2017

Friday Feature: Climate Change and Health

When I think of climate change, I think of dramatic weather events. Really hot summers and really cold winters. Snow storms in March that follow weeks of spring-like weather.

I never really stopped to consider the impact of all of this on health.

Not surprisingly, doctors have. A group of doctors has come together, in fact, to form a consortium that helps educate people about the potential effects of climate change on health -- physical and mental, immediate and long term, local and global.

As with anything else, some populations are more at-risk than others. The young. The old. The vulnerable.

In general, I'm a good news kind of person. I much prefer the happy stuff to the scary stuff, but, when it comes to risk, I want to know what the factors are, because that's the best way to avoid them and stay healthy.

I can't change climate change by myself, but I can stay informed. And, as a parent and educator, not to mention a citizen, I think it's my job to do just that.

And I'm really glad there are medical professionals out there who care enough to make it easier for me to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment