Monday, November 21, 2016

Adjustment Issues

Pixabay
A little more than a month ago, "my" Starbucks moved into a new store. It's pretty and spacious and bright -- a standalone store, rather than one tucked into a strip mall. It has more seating, albeit in a different configuration, and a drive-thru.

But less parking.

Consequently, my home away from home has been a bit tougher to access. In addition, the novelty of the new store, not to mention a drive-thru, has increased traffic inside and outside of the store. I'm happy the store is doing well, but I'm feeling a little displaced.

So, when people ask me how I like the new store, I have to say that I don't know. I'd kind of figured out the rhythms of the old place -- when I could go in and find a table, grab a drink quickly or get serious work done. Now, so much has changed that I sometimes end up working at another store, or returning home.

First world problems, I know.

And I'm not complaining, really -- just...adjusting. I don't want to believe that I'm set in my ways, but I guess in some ways, I am. When I find a place (or thing) I like, a part of me wants to check it off my list. The right drink? Check. The right place to do work away from home? Check.

A bit of my perfectionism rearing its ugly head? Maybe. But I prefer to think of it as efficiency. The point of finding a solution that works is to avoid starting over every time you ask the same question or face the same problem. Predictability may be boring, but it keeps things low maintenance.

So I'll wait -- although patience isn't my strong suit -- and see how things play out. In time, the rhythm of the new store will reveal itself, or perhaps my rhythms will change. With only a few weeks left in the semester, I know my schedule will change, so perhaps that will do the trick.

Meanwhile, I'll grab a table when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment