Wednesday, September 28, 2016

6 Questions from the Porch Swing for Judge William Mercer


Pixabay
Today, Marita's father, retired judge William Mercer, takes some time away from his study  to join me on the porch swing. 

Where will we find you when you’re not on the page of the book we’re reading?
Judge Mercer: As you've indicated in your introduction, I spend a great deal of time in my studyNow that I am retired, I have more time available to immerse myself in cases that fascinate me, and I enjoy writing about them as well.

What’s something we’d be surprised to know about you?
Judge Mercer: Retirement has not dampened my enthusiasm for the law and all of its nuances. Perhaps that is not surprising, however.

What are your thoughts on children?
Judge Mercer: Although helping my daughter to raise my granddaughter was not something on which I had planned, I greatly enjoyed having Charlotte in the house. She is now and always has been a wonderful young lady.

What regrets do you have?
Judge Mercer: I often wonder what I might have done differently in raising my daughter. She has a reasonably good life now, but I wish she hadn't followed such a circuitous path to get there. 

Whom do you admire? 
Judge Mercer: Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She continues to pursue justice and the law with a passion uncharacteristic of many peers half her age.

Are you happy with the role that church is playing in Marita's life now? 
Judge Mercer:
 I am suspicious of the role that church is currently playing in my daughter's life. Although I am happy to see a resurgence of interest in that area, I question both the motive and longevity behind that interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment