Wednesday, August 3, 2016

6 Questions from the Porch Swing for Merrilee Marcus

Pixabay
The ladies of the Bible study are Angel's support group, sometimes in more ways than they realize. Diverse in personality, each brings her own perspective to the group. This week, Merrilee Marcus joined me on the porch swing.

Where will we find you when you’re not on the page of the book we’re reading?
MM: At home, at church or running one of the many Mom errands that keep me busy.

What’s something we’d be surprised to know about you?
MM: As much as I love my own children, there are days I miss teaching. I loved walking into that classroom every day, looking forward to what the day would bring, and I loved watching the look on my students' faces when something clicked for them. On a more mundane level, I enjoyed getting dressed for work and interacting with grown-ups, too. Unfortunately, I found it impossible to be a teacher and a mother at the same time -- at least not up to the standards I set for myself.

What are your thoughts on children?
MM: I love them, which shouldn’t be surprising since I’ve spent almost my entire adult life as either a teacher or a mom. 

What regrets do you have?
MM: Oh, my. I think every woman has regrets of some sort, generally centering around the times when she encountered a situation that she handled with less grace than she would have liked. Perfection is unattainable, but we seek it anyway, especially when it comes to how we raise our kids and, sometimes, how we treat other people. 

Whom do you admire? 
MM: Mothers — in general. It’s an incredible experience, but it’s a tough job. I wish I’d understood that better early in my teaching career—back before I had kids of my own. It’s easy to be judgmental about parenting before you’ve walked that path yourself. I also admire teachers -- particularly those who are able to balance their career with their family life.

Whom do you think is the leader of the Bible study group? 
MM: I think we all have different strengths and lead in different ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment