Monday, April 11, 2016

In Search of my Outdoor Workspace

I'd like this one, please.
(Image from Pixabay)
Spring has sprung. The grass is riz. I wonder where my patio is.

One of last winter's casualties was the gazebo that we put up over our back patio. The heavy snow proved too much for the roof and the whole structure just gave in. Literally.

There are few spaces I enjoy more in temperate weather than a screened-in patio. Growing up, we had a screened-in porch off the back of our "rec room" and I remember sitting out there on a padded chaise lounge, reading. Shaded and cool, the patio afforded all of the advantages of being outdoors with none of the disadvantages (except temperature, of course -- even "cool" was a relative term).

We moved when I was in seventh grade, and while I never really missed the patio, I rediscovered my love of such spaces when we rented a condo at the beach, complete with screened-in patio. Memories came flooding back, and the patio quickly became my favorite spot in the condo -- so much so, that I looked for ways to recreate not just the space, but also that feeling it inspired.

When we found the gazebo on sale a few years ago, I was thrilled. From April until at least October, it functioned as an addition to the house. I often took my laptop outside and worked at the table, or stretched out (sort of) on the settee with a book. My husband, who much prefers the outdoors to the indoors, spent most evenings out there, and my daughter also loved using the space to do homework, read, or simply listen to the rain.

Photo credit: Pixabay
A few weeks ago, before winter insisted on an encore, I was all set to go to my outdoor office to work on a blog.

Only there was no outdoor office.

So, while on the one hand, I'm completely unhappy with winter's reprise, on the other hand, if I can't go to my outdoor office, it might as well be cold outside. My indoor office is quite nice and if I need a change of scenery, I can always go to Starbucks.

At least until we replace that outdoor office, which had better be soon.

After all, winter can't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment