Wednesday, January 13, 2016

5 Questions from the Porch Swing for Michele McKnight Baker

What have you written? Two commercially published titles, both on Amazon: Sandpaper Sisters (non-fiction; addicts turned community builders, miracles do happen!) and Soldier's Heart (historical fiction-Civil War. Two boys, two fathers, scarred by war, who will survive?)

What do you read? Consistently read the Bible, daily papers, the New Yorker,  especially stories re: human trafficking, children and poverty and immigration issues. I work with the Salvation  Army in York, PA, which is directly involved in resolving such issues. In fiction, just finished reading two books by friends: Susan Breen's The Fiction Class and Richard Cleary's Bridging the Abyss. I'm currently reading a few Christmas gifts: Allen Eskens' The Life We Bury, James Lee Burke's Wayfaring Stranger and Isabel Allende's The Japanese Lover.

Why do you write? Joan Didion once said, "When read aloud, the question, why I write, answers itself: I, I, I..." Writing is part of my identity. It is my calling, and in its process, a form of sacramental worship. I love to share wonderful stories with others, and keep readers/listeners spellbound in the telling.

Fun writing factoid (not technically a question, I know): What a pleasure and privilege to meet other
terrific writers along the way, including those who have endorsed my work: Mary Pipher, Tony Campolo, Patricia Hickman, and Alma (Mrs. Colin) Powell, to name a few.

One more thing: You are probably already reading Lisa Lawmaster Hess's work. Invite her to speak to your group. Funny, smart, passionate lady! (Thanks, Michele!)



No comments:

Post a Comment