Wednesday, January 20, 2016

5 Questions from the Porch Swing for Cate Masters

Today, I'd like to welcome my friend Cate Masters to my porch swing. Hi, Cate!

Hi, Lisa! Thanks so much for having me on your cozy porch swing. I love how relaxing it is here.

What have you written? Writing's a constant evolution for me. I began writing poetry, as a girl, and then fell in love with journalism. Then short stories, then novels. I concentrate on the story, not what label a publisher might need it to fit under. My contemporaries might have a bit of fantasy, my historicals (especially lately) have some fantasy or steampunk, my paranormals might dance along the line of fantasy, or mix the two. I've always loved fairy tales, too, so elements of those show up in various stories. Same thing for mythology. One story I'm finishing up is futuristic and the other, well, I have no idea what a publisher might call it. The most important thing to me is the heart of it, and of the characters.

What do you read? You've probably already guessed that I'm an eclectic reader. From Ray Bradbury, to Tolkien, to Michael Chabon, Margaret Atwood, Alice Hoffman, Neil Gaiman, T. C. Boyle, Dean Koontz -- I want to be all of them rolled into one, LOL. My latest obsession is steampunk.


Why do you write? I just always have, and I always will.

Fun writing factoid (not technically a question, I know): Starting in about third grade, my friends and I all wrote poetry and songs together. It was the best childhood, and we're all still friends.

One more thing: I write under another pen name for mainstream stories -- C. A. Masterson. I'm probably going to write under two other pen names for steampunk and futuristic stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment