Monday, November 30, 2015

Cyber Celebration

Today, I am the proud author of two novels. The first, Casting the First Stone, is actually half price this week at the LPC Storefront in honor of Cyber Monday.

The second, Chasing a Second Chance, became available for Kindle last week, and, as of today, is also available in paperback. I'd love to say I planned it that way, but I'm just not that good.

Today, my head is spinning. Classes resumed this morning and real-world responsibilities should be bringing me back to reality. I planned for and taught my class this morning, and then, as soon as I had the opportunity, started making book plans. Sharing the news. Planning another celebration at my favorite Starbucks. Figuring out where and how to share my excitement with the world without simultaneously annoying people.

I'm lucky. I enjoy the promoting and talking just as much as I enjoy the writing, and more than I enjoy revising or trying to figure out why I can't get a file to upload. I had great people helping me, and I am convinced that, if you want a quality product, "self"- publishing takes a village. I've been through this book launch process once before (three times, if you count the non-fiction books, which I don't, since that's completely different) and I have a list of people to contact, things to do and -- this time -- things NOT to do, all of which I'm looking forward to.

And, with each book, I feel more like the word "author" applies. While I firmly believe that all who write are writers, author -- to me -- has come to embody the whole process, from conception to publication and beyond as we simultaneously circle back to conception again.

On Saturday, as I was proofing the interior of the paperback, the what-ifs started to surface -- the ones that trigger a new project, only in this case, the what-ifs surrounded these same characters -- the ones I thought I was finished writing about. What if Marita did this? What if Charli did that? What if this happened and then caused that?

I dutifully jotted down my notes, all the while denying there was another book about these people yet to be written. After all, I have at least two more projects that have been clamoring for my attention, and they were supposed to take center stage once Chasing a Second Chance stepped aside and made room.

I'm not sure what will happen next, or which of my casts will step forward to claim center stage. For now, I'm just taking it all in, grateful to be part of the program.


No comments:

Post a Comment