Monday, October 26, 2015

Where to Now, God?

pixabay.com
A few weeks ago, I had one of those jam-packed days where the success of the day depends upon all of the puzzle pieces fitting together. I woke up stressed by all that could go wrong, and I put the day in God's hands. After all, that was the only way I wouldn't end up with pieces all over the floor.

And fit together they did. So much so that several times throughout the day, I found myself smiling and saying, "Okay, God. Where to now?"

I know that probably sounds a little bit crazy, but what's crazy to me is that I don't say it more often. My control, after all, is only an illusion.

And so the next day that felt like that, I tried the same strategy. "Okay, God. Where to now?"

And the pieces lay scattered on the floor.

Maybe I was too tense. Maybe I wasn't being as trusting as I thought I was.

Or maybe that day, it was up to me to figure out how to put the pieces together. The pieces of the day weren't so inextricably linked that one not fitting meant the end of the puzzle, so maybe I was supposed to prioritize.

Maybe God had given me the skills I needed to manage my day and it was up to me to use them.

I don't remember how that day ended, but I don't remember any disasters either. And on the next wacky day that popped up, I remembered to ask for help.

I tell my freshmen that the difference between high school and college is that in college, you have to be the one to make the first move. If you're having trouble in a class, you need to be the one to approach the professor. The professor isn't going to track you down (in most cases) and ask you what's going on. You need to take ownership of the situation and ask for the help you need.

And I think maybe it's like that with God, too. I saw a pillow once that said something like, "I know God will never give me more than I can handle. But sometimes, I wish he didn't trust me so much," a quote which has been attributed to both Mother Teresa and an anonymous source. Either way, I identify with the sentiment.

The thing is, we're supposed to rely on God -- and we're supposed to ask for help when we need it. But, we've also been given gifts and capabilities, and although we can go running to God for help at every turn, he'll often do what a loving parent does and give us the opportunity to solve it for ourselves before he jumps in and handles things.

pixabay.com
At least that's what my takeaway was. And, since I'm sure I'll continue to need assistance, I'm equally sure I'll continue to turn to God.

I know an awesome partnership when I see one.


No comments:

Post a Comment