Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Feature: Is it What we Eat or When we Eat?

Photo: MaxStraeten via Morguefile
Some of my fondest college memories are of late night Bison (snack bar) runs with friends after rehearsing for a show. Back then, I could drink a Diet Coke and go to bed (and to sleep) immediately thereafter. I could also eat at 11pm or later without my body seeking revenge.

Although I knew even back then that those habits weren't good ones, I was young enough to be protected by the magical workings of a twenty-something digestive tract. Now, a bad choice at dinner or simply a dinner that's a little too late in the day reminds me I'm not twenty-something any more. Although I'm not yet ready for a steady diet of early bird specials, late night eating is not my friend.

As it turns out, I'm not alone, and it's not just my age talking. Studies are showing that late-night eating may contribute to the weight issues that plague many Americans. This article from Smithsonian Magazine left me seriously considering the eight to eleven hours idea, and assessing my own eating hours.

Though I know my late night snack bar runs are behind me, I can't help but be intrigued by the idea that something so simple could make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment