Saturday, August 8, 2015

Saturday Special: Desk Organization

https://magazine.dashburst.com
I love infographics. I also love writing and, of course, reading about organization. So when I found an infographic about organizing my writing desk, I was intrigued.

It's a lovely infographic -- it really is -- especially if you're a Type A organizer.

But I'm not. And if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, chances are you're not either.  So does that mean we simply dismiss this, closing it out and making it go away before it inspires anxiety and a crisis of confidence?

That's one option. But another option is that we look for the things in it that ring true for our styles, and dismiss the rest -- here comes the hard part -- without guilt or judgment.

For example:

  • A clear workspace is a wonderful goal, and with the right tools for your style, it's achievable.
    •  An I love stuff  person will likely need a few prized possessions for inspiration, whether on the edges of the desk or on a bulletin board or shelves nearby, and will probably ignore the advice to "keep only those items that are essential for your daily use." Keeping these items to a minimum and confined to the edges of the desk will achieve the clear desk goal with style. 
    • The I need to see it person will forgo the drawer advice and instead, keep things visible via hanging pockets or (again) nearby shelves. Those with this style will love the stickies on the computer monitor, but will need to make sure to limit the number of stickies, as well as reading and replacing them regularly. Sticky note forests are too dense to be useful.
    • Cram and jammers, I see you eying those drawers. Your challenge will be to make sure that bottom ("away") drawer doesn't become the dumping ground for "everything else," which, in turn, becomes crumpled, creased and unusable.
      I swear by the bright green, store-bought
      rolling bin stashed under my desk, but
      if you're crafty, you can attach wheels
      to a drawer to create a rolling bin like 
      this one I found on Etsy.
    • Drop and run organizers will probably note the complete absence of any tools that work for them on a regular basis. Tuck a rolling bin beside the desk or underneath it, if you have the leg room, so that you drop things somewhere besides the desk. 
    • I love to be busy folks may need to designate each drawer for a different activity, and will certainly need a calendar somewhere in that workspace, whether it's on the desk, on the wall or on the computer itself.
    • I know I put it somewhere organizers are likely to be fine once they establish a system for what goes in each drawer or on the shelves. Adding storage containers that can be labeled will also help, but having too many choices can add to confusion, rather than minimizing it.
The moral of the story? If your goal is to look like a Type A organizer when you're really an I love stuff/cram and jammer, there's no need to lose hope, or choose a simpler goal. You just need to chart a path from here to there using your styles as your road map. 

Anyone else have any good infographics to share? This I need to see it person loves visual presentations!

No comments:

Post a Comment