Friday, May 29, 2015

Friday Feature: What I'm Reading in Ten Minutes or Less: How Not to be a Helicopter Parent

Photo: butkovicdub via Morguefile
Junior year of high school is an enormous turning point. I didn't realize this as I was going through my own junior year (thank God!), but the signs are everywhere when you're the parent of a junior. I've written before about how easy it is to get caught up in the hype, and to forget that my long-term goals for my daughter have always centered around my hope for her to become a happy, healthy, good person, not an extracurricular superstar, a Broadway sensation or a Harvard graduate. In my more rational moments, I remember this, but like most people, rationality isn't always my strong suit.

Need a little back-up for your desire to parent for the long haul, or a way to back up from the hype? Then you'll love this New York Times piece on "Raising Your Successful 35-Year-Old."

Enjoy your summer. And give your kids some time to enjoy theirs, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment