Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday Special: Of Bookstores and Booksellers and Book Launch Events

16 more days!

Casting the First Stone is available for preorder on Amazon, and, closer to home, I'm talking with booksellers and making plans for book launch events. For me, these events are as much about celebrating with friends, family and readers as selling books. If there's an event coming to a location near you, please drop by and say hello. I promise I won't be keeping a tally of who buys what. If I've invited you to an event here or in another location, that means I'd love to see you :-)

I must say that conversations with local booksellers have been an education in the state of publishing and book selling as we know it today. While my first two emails to independent booksellers went completely unacknowledged, two booksellers closer to home could not have been more gracious. Aaron's Books in Lititz, PA and Hearts & Minds Books in Dallastown, PA were both kind enough to send personal, same-day replies. Both are working with me to get my book into their stores, so if you live near either of those stores, please stop in and see what they have to offer, and not just because they were nice to me, but for larger reasons as well.

While the folks I talked with locally at Books-A-Million, Lifeway and Barnes & Noble were kind, their hands are tied. When the people who patronize their local stores want to get merchandise into one of their stores, they must jump through corporate hoops. Having a book available through a national distributor isn't always enough --  often, the people at corporate must put the book into the bookstore's system in order for it to be available for stores to order. Gone are the days that an author  -- even one who helps to keep these chain bookstore in business -- can approach the local branch of a big store and get personalized service. That's just one of the differences between your local independent bookseller and the big guys.

Like the bookstores, the celebrations I'm setting up will be both large and small, depending on location. First up is a Facebook Book Launch party from 4-8 pm EST on January 27. If you've never been to one of these, click on Facebook Book Launch party above to go to the link and RSVP, as well as finding some more information. In addition, that's where you'll show up on the 27th to join in the festivities -- right there at that link, in the comfort of your own home. You can even wear your pjs if you'd like. To read more about Facebook Book Launch parties, click here.

This week, I finalized another book signing date in the York, PA area. I'll be at the Village Library in Jacobus on February 27 from 1-3 pm. If you've never checked out this lovely little library, now's your chance. Stop in and say hello if you're in the neighborhood.

As always, all of my book launch info is posted on my Facebook author page. If you click on the red Read My Book button, all of my book info and events will be at your fingertips. You can also check out the Media Room tab on this blog for updates.

Next Saturday, I'll introduce you to the rest of my characters. Till then, stop by for regular (non-book promo) content on Monday and Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. You have some busy days ahead. Congratulations and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan! Congratulations on your recent release! I will take any pointers you may have...especially how to avoid the dreaded TLDR posts!!

    ReplyDelete